The bottle was sold to the Sankey family in 1943. The ice cream was later purchased from the H.P. Hood and Sons, Inc. dairy. The milk bottle was abandoned in 1967. In 1974, the bottle was the subject of a Polaroid photograph entitled "Sankey's Ice Cream, Taunton, Massachusetts" by Walker Evans, a well-known photographer of artifacts of the Great Depression.
The bottle stood vacant for eight years until HP Hood was persuaded to buy it. In 1977, it was cut into three sections and moved by barge to Boston's Museum Wharf, where it stands today. The Hood Milk Bottle still serves as an ice cream stand and snack bar next to the Boston Children's Museum.
The bottle has recently undergone extensive renovations. In fall of 2006, the bottle was "uncapped" -- its original top half was sliced off and preserved -- so that its base could be moved slightly and rebuilt on the new Children's Museum Plaza. The bottle was recapped in November 2006 and celebrated its 30th Anniversary at it's current location on April, 20, 2007.
This article is licensed under GNU Free Documentation License.
It Uses material from the Wikipedia article Hood Milk Bottle